Legal Assistance

Legal questions or problems

Should you encounter legal problems or if you need answers to legal questions (for instance, your lease agreement, your legal stay in Belgium, a divorce, etc.) you can consult a specialized association or get the help of a lawyer.

Legal Aid

Frontline legal aid, accessible to everyone regardless of revenue, allows to obtain a first legal information or a free legal aid from a lawyer.

Lega laid also allows to obtain assistance from a lawyer designated by the Legal Aid Office (Bureau d’Aide Juridique). This is called the second-line legal aid which is accessible free of charge (partially or totally) if you meet certain conditions of revenue, should the problem need a thorough legal aid (example legal advice, legal procedure etc)

Bureau d’Aide Juridique – Legal Aid Office website : https://bajbruxelles.be/index.php/fr/

Calling for a Lawyer

Some situations request that you call for a lawyer. A lawyer is a professional whose job is to advice, assist and defend people and companies, regarding private or professional problems. He/she’s also virtually the only one to be able to plead during the judicial procedure before all jurisdictions. A lawyer perceives fees and indemnities for different expenses (mails, phone, etc.). Please enquire beforehand on your lawyer’s tariffs.

To find a lawyer, you can consult the following website : https://www.avocats.be/

Mediation / Ombudsman Service

Should you encounter difficulties with a public administration / private organization or if you feel your request is not appropriately treated, you can contact an ombudsman. He/she is sometimes called a mediator. It’s a free independent mediation service whose mission is to collect complaints from citizens and who will try to find a solution, in the case you haven’t been able to settle the problem yourself with the organization/administration. There’s a mediation service in numerous administrations (for instance, at communal, regional, federal level, etc.) and per topic (example,: Housing, stay permit, youth education…)

Please visit this website to know the appropriate mediation service : https://www.ombudsman.be/fr/ombudsman/domain/all

The Associative Network

There are numerous specialized organizations, private or state-organized, which can give you legal advice or accompany you in legal steps or orientate you in case of problems or difficulties (for example, on  your work contract, family regrouping, etc.) before calling a lawyer. You will find hereafter the websites of many of these associations, ranked thematically, whose services are free of charge. This list does not overview all associations based in Brussels



Stay (ex, stay rights, family regrouping)




Studies & Trainings






Social Security, Social Aid


Family Matters :

  • Centre de Prévention des Violences Conjugales et Familiales:  https://www.cpvcf.org/
  • Service juridique d’un Centre de Planning familial : https://www.planningfamilial.net/liste-des-centres/


Should you feel being discriminated :

  • UNIA ( discrimination linked to age, disability, origin, religious or philosophical conviction, sexual orientation …) : unia.be
  • Institut pour l’Egalité des femmes et des hommes – Institute for Men/Women Equality (treats about rights and discriminations based on sex, genre, pregnancy/maternity, sex change etc …) : www.igvm-iefh.belgium.be/fr
  • Actiris Inclusive – antidiscrimination desk (regarding commitment): https://www.actiris.brussels/fr/citoyens/signaler-une-discrimination-a-l-embauche/

Inscription à la newsletter

Recevez toutes nos actualités